Your Gift Will Provide Better Beginnings For All Babies
Birth defects affect 1 in 33 babies. Hospitalization for birth defects costs the United States over $2.6 billion annually, and this doesn’t even begin to factor in the emotional and financial costs of living with a birth defect.
You can help us make a difference.
The Center for Better Beginnings is a division of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of California San Diego and is dedicated to advancing the identification, prevention, and treatment of birth defects through cutting-edge research, top-notch clinical care, and community and professional educational programs.
Your donation to our Center will allow us to:
- Provide free, up-to-date information to people who are pregnant and/or chestfeeding and their healthcare providers about exposures that could be a risk to either a person or their developing baby.
- Provide care and support to families affected by and struggling with birth defects.
- Fund much-needed research to determine which medications, chemicals and other exposures are safe and which could be harmful during pregnancy or chestfeeding.
- Better understand the powerful benefits of human milk and how it influences child health and development.
- Educate the community about a wide variety of topics related to the causes of birth defects and how they can be prevented and treated.
- Train the next generation of physicians and scientists who will dedicate their careers to eliminating birth defects.